Wednesday, February 24, 2016

"edisto sunset"

When I embarked on this journey as an artist, 4 years and 8 months ago, I thought it was just about painting.  Little did I know.   I had no idea where this path would take me and how many doors would open along the way.  I have gotten to do and participate in some pretty cool things in the last 4 years.

Like cohosting the radio show, Artists Helping Artists,  with my friend and mentor Leslie Saeta,  that pulls in an audience in the tens of thousands worldwide.  And the opportunities that it has provided me to learn and grow both on the business side of art and also the personal side. Nothing beats the thrill of getting to interview some of the legends in the art world today.  It has also encouraged me to step up my game and stay on top of marketing trends and social media.  In fact tonight, I am giving a presentation to the Guild of Charlotte Artists  tonight on marketing and what I have learned along the way that I just couldn't have done without cohosting this show.  

I've had the opportunity to share my love of art not only with other adult artists but with children in schools and hospitals.  I've met people that live halfway around the world through art and developed so many treasured friendships because of it.  And teaching.  I never guessed just how much I would love sharing what I have learned with others.  And how much that sharing would, in fact, teach me about art and about myself.

I discovered quite by accident the joy of painting outside on location.  A pastime that has now become a passion and the driving force behind most of the ideas that find themselves on my canvas.  And how that joy would open another door:  sharing my love of plein air with others.  The opportunity to teach and help other artists discover just how life changing painting outside can be.

Last week, I drove down to Edisto Island in South Carolina, not only to paint but to scout out locations for a plein air workshop I will be teaching there next month.   What a gorgeous place!  It is everything and more than I had hoped to find, and the only downside is that 4 days is just too short of a time to explore it all!  I can't wait to share this beautiful spot with those who have signed up for my workshop.  As I stood there on the beach painting as the sun was setting, all of these things that have happened to me on this art journey were going through my mind.  While I have worked hard to get to this place, I still feel so very lucky to be standing here.  It is the greatest of all joys to wake up everyday and do what you most love to do.

This is my painting from last week.  I still have two spots open for the workshop so if you think you might like to join us CLICK HERE for more information.  This little painting and the memory of painting there in the last light of the day inspired another larger work that I hope to post tomorrow so stay tuned.

"edisto sunset"
8" x 10" oil on panel
©2016dottietleatherwood



1 comment:

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Très joli parcours que celui que vous nous décrivez...
Je suis certaine que beaucoup d'élèves ont envie de participer à vos cours.
Merci pour le partage de cette belle oeuvre.

Gros bisous ♡