Thursday, February 25, 2016

"no reason to roam"

Yesterday I posted a the plein air study that I did on the beach at Edisto Island.   The day itself was gorgeous.  68 degrees with clear deep blue skies.  In February!  What a gift.  And the sunset did not disappoint.  I was not facing the sunset directly while I was painting but instead was looking across the dunes.  The sun drops so quickly in the winter and I was painting as quickly as possible.  When it became too dark to paint, I started to pack up and turned to face the end of the sunset over the water.  It took my breath away.  Absolutely beautiful.  I snapped a few pictures and just stood there and took it in.  

I know sunsets are overdone as paintings and some artists think they are to garish to paint but I just had to put it down on canvas this week while it was fresh in my mind.  Hope it takes you there.

"no reason to roam"
24"x48" oil on canvas
©2016dottietleatherwood


2 comments:

AK said...

Who said this is garish. Beautiful work.

Tony said...

Simply beautiful!