Thursday, September 1, 2016

Day 1 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days

I can hardly believe it is September!  Can you?  September for me always means the 30-in-30.  I look forward to it and dread it all at the same time! It is always a challenge for me and this month is no different.  But I also love the challenge and each time I do it, I learn so much.   This time, I decided I wanted to do something a little different.  It's been such a wonderful year for me and I wanted to give a little something back.  What better time than now?!

This 30-in-30 is going to be more special than all of the rest.

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Did you know that cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death in children? One of my friends from high school lost her sweet son, Carter, in September twelve years ago at the tender age of 7 to cancer. Since then, my friend, Leigh Ann has become a warrior for raising money for cancer research for children. Only 4% (only $195 million) of our federal government's National Cancer Institute budget ($4.9 billion) is given to childhood cancer research and it's simply not enough. I have three healthy children and I want to help. And here is how:

I will be painting 30 floral still life paintings this month. They will all be 10" x 10" and will be for sale for $200 each. I will donate $100 for each painting sold to the Carter Martin Fund for cancer research for children. If you would like to help support childhood cancer research and get a painting in the process, please watch my blog and/or Facebook page each day for a new painting. I really want to try and sell each and every painting this month and donate $3000 to Carter's Fund. 
 
To kick off the month, here is my first painting.  I chose sunflowers because they remind me of my friend, Leigh Ann and CURE Childhood Cancer.  I'm working this month on a looser, more impressionistic approach to my still life paintings.  Just the essence.  I will also be painting each of them outdoors in natural light.  So unlike a still life painting in the studio in which the lighting is controlled and manipulated for the best painting setup, being outdoors ...sometimes I will have sunlight and shadow to work with and other days just an overcast light.  It's a much more natural setting but also a bit more of a challenge.  I'm sure I will learn a lot this month!

"sunshine bouquet"
10" x 10" oil on linen panel
©2016dottietleatherwood

CURE Childhood Cancer in our lifetime!




2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

This is so Beautiful!

JanettMarie said...

Great idea Dottie! Good luck with your 30 paintings this month!