Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day 27 "flower bucket" and Day 28 "sunflowers and celosia"

I spent the morning painting at the farm.  Sunflowers are still blooming and seem to really be enjoying this hot, humid September weather.  This bright red bucket overflowing with just picked blooms caught my eye.   I had a very limited time to paint it, as the little farm stand was opening soon.  I painted a very loose sketch of all of the flowers and greenery and thought I would finish it up back at my studio.  But when I looked at it again later this afternoon, I loved the freshness of it.  So instead, I just darkened the background and left the flowers and greenery just as they were.

"flower bucket"
10" x 10" oil on panel
©2016dottietleatherwood

After painting the bucket of flowers, I painted a little corner of the sunflowers still growing in the field.  I loved the way the pinky-purple of the celosia growing nearby set off the yellow of the sunflowers.  Very complimentary :)
"sunflowers and celosia"
10" x 10" oil on panel
©2016dottietleatherwood

** September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.  Cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death for children.  Help me raise awareness and money for childhood cancer research.  50% of the purchase price of any 30-in-30 painting will be donated to the Carter Martin Fund for cancer research. 


No comments: