Sunday, January 1, 2017

Day 1... Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!! Out with the old and in with the new. 2017.  So full of promise and changes to come.

I spent the beginning of the new year like I spent the end of the old year.  Painting. The tradition of 30 paintings in 30 days in January continues.  And once again this year, I am painting plein air.  And I'm looking up.

I, like a lot of artists, am fascinated by the sky.  Trying to convey the light and mood on to the canvas is a never ending challenge.  I'm intrigued by how quickly the sky changes color and mood.  The more I study it the more I see.  I went skydiving in November and as I was flying through the sky (really...it felt more like flying than falling) I felt so lucky to actually be up there.  Almost like I was a part of the sky.  It was just different somehow.  That must be how the birds feel.

I took my dog and headed out to paint yesterday as the storm clouds were rolling in.  It was cold but the sky was luminous at times as the clouds shifted, especially when contrasted with the warm golds and browns of the winter landscape.

I knew that for the next few days we were supposed to get rain so I wanted to take advantage of the changing sky while I could.  And the weatherman was right.  I woke up to rain and dark skies.  That's where the "challenge" part of this 30-in-30 comes in.  When the weather is bad or time is short, it's easy to give in and not stay with it.  Today, not so much because it's just Day 1, but on Day 11 or Day 23 it is very tempting.

So my painting for today is from the shelter of my back porch.  When I started painting it was raining pretty steadily, but as I got further along the rain eased off and the sky brightened a little.  Not a lot of contrast in a rainy day painting but rather that softness that comes with all the moisture in the atmosphere.   I started out with much stronger shapes among the trees and bushes but scraped and softened them in the end to give that rainy day feeling.  There is a 100% chance of rain tomorrow so I will get to practice it again.

Like last time, each of these plein air studies will be available for purchase on Daily Paintworks.  Thanks for hanging with me throughout the month of January!

"new years eve"
10" x 8" oil on linen panel
©2016dottietleatherwood


"january rain"
10" x 8" oil on linen panel
©2017dottietleatherwood

1 comment:

Tammie Dickerson said...

Beautiful work! I love the way you've handled the winter landscape!