Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Day 10 ..."looking southwest"

I taught a painting class this morning so I left to go paint about 3:00.  The sun was still high and the sky was blue but not very exciting.  So I decided to paint the woods while I was waiting for the sky to change.  There was a tiny bit of snow still on the ground and it contrasted nicely with the warm tones of the trees in the afternoon light.   I also liked the way the clumps of snow led back through the trees.  I worked on this one for about an hour but didn't quite finish it.  I'd really like to do a larger painting based on this study.  There was so much going on that I didn't have a chance to get to.  And although this one isn't quite finished, I did manage to capture the colors that I saw.



It was nice weather to paint today...I didn't even need my coat.  The temperature was up near 50 and after exploring everywhere my dog enjoyed lying in the sun.  Can you see her? She's almost camouflaged by the grass.

About 4:30 the sun had shifted some and was heading toward the horizon throwing a golden light on all the grasses in front of me.  It was a bit difficult trying to look directly into the sun and paint but I'm happy with the way the sky turned out.  I tried to capture the brightness and warmth of the late day sun before all the drama of the sunset kicks in.

"looking southwest"
10" x 8" oil on linen panel
©2017dottietleatherwood

No comments: