Thursday, January 12, 2017

Day 12 ... "moonset"

Three years ago I painted my first nocturne at the Plein Air Convention.  I, along with about 50 other painters followed artists Jason Sacran and John Lasater out to the wharf in Monterey CA.  (click on their names to see their wonderful art)  I had no idea what to expect and had never painted before outside in the dark.  It was hard enough to paint outside in daylight!  They shared some tips and techniques with us and painted along beside us.  I thought I had done a pretty good job until I took my painting inside and realized it was terrible!  But I was hooked and couldn't wait to paint another one.

I don't paint them often enough.  I guess because I'm not a night owl but I really enjoy the challenge when I get a chance.  The moon has been big and beautiful the last two days and I finally got a chance to paint it about 5:30 this morning while it was setting.  FYI...the moon sets just as fast as the sun sets!  It seemed like it was sinking so fast behind the trees.  I kept having to move so I could see it.  I don't have much of a progress shot, because of the darkness but if you look right above my easel you can see a bright light ...that's the moon.  Looks tiny in the picture but it seemed huge when I was painting it.  The halo was so big and bright.  I really never noticed that the moon had a halo until I started painting.  Sometimes it's golden like the sun, sometimes orange, sometimes purple.

There is a bit of glare on this photograph of my painting.  Sorry about that.  It's hard to photograph a wet painting, especially dark colors.

"moonset"
10" x 8" oil on panel
©2017dottietleatherwood

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Your hommage to the moon is mesmerizing Dottie! I've been enjoying seeing all your "30 in 30" works and look forward to the remaining January days.