Saturday, January 14, 2017

Day 14 ..."simple and subdued"

Spring left in the middle of the night and the day dawned cloudy and cool.  Back to winter.  It's looking like a cloudy week so I will get a lot more practice in on my grays.  Everything has a season and soon enough the landscape will be bright green.  I actually enjoy the subtle shifts in color right now and the challenge of trying to mix what I see.  It is easier to paint than it is to photograph though.  My camera misses all the soft color changes and instead sees everything as a gray.  Frustrating.

Tybee enjoyed the afternoon and worked hard at digging holes, chewing sticks and barking at everyone that passed.  She doesn't seem to realize that barking makes people walk away not come closer.  Although I want her to bark to alert me if someone is approaching, we are working on the "quiet" command now.  As vocal as she is, it is proving to be a hard one to learn.  We did have a few brave souls come by to take a look at what I was painting, including an old friend I hadn't seen in years and the cutest group of young boys with their skateboards.  They reminded me of my son when he was that age.  They were equal parts astounded that I was painting outside, perplexed as to why I was painting the subject I chose and enthusiastic with the finished painting.  😀

"simple and subdued"
10" x 8" oil on linen panel
©2017dottietleatherwood


No comments: