Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Day 3 ... "blue morning"

It's not often that I have the trash trucks for company while I paint.  But after the last couple of days of rain and not much chance of sun today, I got up early to paint.  The blue of the fading night sky was breathtaking and except for the neighbors on their way to work (who slowed way down and stared) and the trash truck, it was so wonderfully peaceful.  Even the lights from the house across the street weren't on. The perfect way to start my day....painting in my pajamas :)

My front porch faces east and I knew if I were to catch any light at all with the heavy cloud cover, that was my best chance.  I blocked in the tree shapes and the darkest blue of the sky and waited for the first bit of light to emerge.  I didn't have to wait long.  That bright blue of the sky held for about 15 minutes and then the whole sky transformed into a milky blue and then to gray.  It was gorgeous while it lasted and I painted as fast as I could to get the color down before it was gone.

"blue morning"
8" x 10" oil on linen panel
©2017dottietleatherwood
 


1 comment:

Sandy Sandy said...

Wonderful mood to this one Dottie. Loved the story behind it too!