Friday, September 1, 2017

Day 1... "thinking chair"

The 30-in-30 Challenge has begun and I am using this challenge to raise money to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey. I hope you'll help me! 

I can hardly believe it is September!  It has been such a hectic summer for me, filled with travel, but unfortunately not with as much painting as I would have liked.  In addition, I just moved into a new studio space.  A week of back-breaking work but I'm finally moved in and everything is organized and put away, as of yesterday!   So the 30-in-30 is coming at a great time for me.  Getting me back into the groove of painting. 

I like to use the 30-in30 as a opportunity to paint from life everyday for a month.  I love to paint outdoors, it is absolute bliss for me.  But it was raining when I got up this morning, with 100% chance forecast for the day.  So I decided to paint an interior in my studio.  I have this wonderful little "thinking" chair that I purchased just for my studio.  You know, a place to sit and contemplate what to paint, or how bad the painting I'm currently working on is going :) It sits under the window in my studio and gets great light. My former studio mate gave me a dozen roses to celebrate my new place so I thought they would be fun to add into the composition.   Perfect little vignette.  
I set up my mini Strada easel to paint, and wouldn't you know 15 minutes into the painting, the sun came out.  So much for the weather forecast.  I did enjoy painting this little scene though. Whites are so much fun to paint.  The more you look the more color you see.  

Last year I donated half of the proceeds of the 30-in-30 Challenge to Childrens Cancer Care Fund and it was so rewarding to paint for such a good cause.  With all of the devastation in Texas, I wanted to do the same thing this year.  I am donating 50% of the sale of every 30-in-30 painting this month to help the flood victims of Hurricane Harvey.  The charities I am supporting are the Houston Food Bank and the Houston Humane Society.   I hope if you fall in love with one of my paintings this month, you will take the opportunity to purchase one and help me help those that have lost so much.  

"thinking chair"
12"x12" oil on linen panel
©2017dottietleatherwood



No comments: