Monday, September 4, 2017

Day 4 ..."backyard roses"

The 30-in-30 Challenge has begun and I am using this challenge to raise money to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey. I hope you'll help me! 

Happy Labor Day!  I decided to "labor" at home today for the 30 in 30 Challenge.  It was unusually cool this morning and I took my coffee and book to the back porch and spent a lazy hour enjoying the  peacefulness.  I'm usually up and out the door everyday and now I know why.  Once I sat down, I didn't want to get up.  I didn't want to get out of my pajamas. But the morning sunlight was beckoning and I knew I needed to get started painting.  In search of something to paint within walking distance from my back porch, I settled on the roses beside my garage.  They were glowing in the morning sunlight and I just couldn't resist.

With the cool morning air giving way to hot sunshine, I had to go in search of my umbrella so I could settle in to paint. Then the biting flies came and decided to make an early lunch of the back of my knees.   So I spent a couple of hours painting while stomping like a horse. First one leg, then the other.  And yes, I have bug spray somewhere, but I was too engrossed in my painting to take the time to go find it.

I really enjoyed painting this little vignette.  I really tried to squint to capture the patterns of light and dark and keep the detail to a minimum.  Quite a challenge but I'm pleased with the results.  I'd like to try it again this month.....with bug spray next time.

"backyard roses"
14" x 11" oil on linen panel
©2017dottietleatherwood


Last year I donated half of the proceeds of the 30-in-30 Challenge to Childrens Cancer Care Fund and it was so rewarding to paint for such a good cause.  With all of the devastation in Texas, I wanted to do the same thing this year.  I am donating 50% of the sale of every 30-in-30 painting this month to help the flood victims of Hurricane Harvey.  The charities I am supporting are the Houston Food Bank and the Houston Humane Society.   I hope if you fall in love with one of my paintings this month, you will take the opportunity to purchase one and help me help those that have lost so much. 



No comments: